The holographic cover design features golden fish scale-like shapes. The cover illustration consisted of an evil-looking octopus that is preparing to eat a fish in front of a lush, volcanic tropical island.
IT'S NO FANTASY ISLAND!
You and your cousin Gina are vacationing on Tiki Island. It's so beautiful, you don't even care when you hear a rumor that people have been mysteriously disappearing from the island.
While you're snorkeling, Gina finds a dark undersea cave. Should you follow her in? Or go after that gleaming object on the ocean floor? Quick! Make up your mind! A shark is zooming straight at you! If you choose to dive for the object, you'll find a Tiki Eye. It has the power to erupt a volcano — and summon Tiki warriors from the dead! If you explore the underwater cave you'll find a sunken ship filled with treasure... and some very active skeletons.
The choice is yours in this scary GOOSEBUMPS adventure that's packed with over 20 super-spooky endings!
You and your cousin Ginny are visiting Tiki Island for the second year in a row, thanks to your travel writer mother. A boy named Kala, the resort owners son, informs you that a curse has fallen on Tiki Island. You don't believe him but have noticed that there are less tourists around this year. You and Gina go snorkling and are attacked by a shark. You must choose weather to use a sharp stone to fight it, or go hide in a cave.
You swim towards the cave and escape from the shark. However, you are pulled deeper into the cave by the strong currents, and emerge in another cave with a high ceiling. You and Gina suddenly realize that there’s a waterfall in the cave and you fall deeper into a lower level of the cave, where gems line the walls. As you take a gem from the wall, a pirate ship rises out of the water. You go in for a look but discover that the ship is infested with a crew of skeletons, who capture Gina.
You pick up the stone, and hold it up to defend yourself from the shark, but the shark leaves as soon as they see it. You keep the stone and swim back to Kala’s boat with Gina, but when you get there the stone starts to get hot and burn your skin so you let go. Kala recognizes the stone, and tells you to go visit a guy named Hooahtoo, to confirm that the stone is not what Kala thinks it is. You wrap the stone in a towel and go to find Hooahtoo, who tells you that the stone is the Tiki Eye, and it is cursed, and now that you have been exposed to it, so are you. The only way to remove the curse is to climb the highest mountain on Tiki Island, and return the eye to the mask that it belongs to.
List of endings
There are sixteen bad endings and six good endings.
- Struggling to escape from octopuses, you bite down on a tentacle. It turns you into one instead.
- You are attacked by the shark in the beginning of the story.
- Mount Kenalua sucks you and Gina in, and you both fall to your deaths.
- Lava washes over you and Gina. You end up dying in the molten rock.
- You enter the mouth of a sea monster, being swallowed moments later.
- Accidentally causing an avalanche of diamonds that buries you, Gina, and the skeleton crew alive.
- You and Gina are devoured by a horde of carnivorous fish.
- Digested by a Lava Lizard.
- You lose the Tiki Eye only to have it found by a random tourist. They get reward money, as well as draw attention from the media, while you leave bemoaning your failing.
- Dr. Oates sells you and Gina out for the Tiki Eye, subsequently killing you with the Tiki Warrior Spirits.
- You accidentally restart the curse by tripping and breaking two Tiki Masks. (The story ends twice here.)
- A Tiki ghost transports you to a room filled with books on manners after you stare at him. It's implied that you are to remain there for the rest of your life.
- You knock down a pillar supporting the cavern you're in, causing it to come crashing down on everyone.
- Stuck to your shoe, the Tiki Eye causes you to kick your friend's dad, who owns the resort, in your bid to ask for his help. You are banned from the resort, as well as have lost all hope of lifting the curse.
- Gina and you turn into skeletons. You are forced to join Captain Bones' pirate crew as a consequence.
- A few endings have you successfully freeing the Tiki warrior spirits from their curse.
- One of these ends with the grateful spirits naming you their leader and moving in with you.
- The other involves the Tiki Eye being inserted into the ceremonial mask, wiping them from existence.
- You move out an ancient pirate treasure that was stolen from the Tiki Islanders centuries ago. A portion of the treasure is left with you as a reward.
- You successfully free the missing people, who were being held prisoner, and lead them to safety. Then you come across a diamond in your bathing suit, becoming rich soon after.
- You learn that your friend Kala is the one behind the curse. You end up destroying him and decide that the Tiki Eye is better off left alone.
- You break the curse by throwing the Tiki Eye into the volcano. The lizard that carried you and Gina shrinks down back to normal size. You try to ride it, but it winds up being crushed.
- There is a maze that punishes you if you do not bother to do it. This is the second time this has happened in a Give Yourself Goosebumps book.
- One of the pages features a path where progression is determined by whether the player is left or right handed.
- Another page features a path which is determined by a coin toss. The side the coin lands on takes the player to the corresponding path.
- The tagline references the 1977 television series Fantasy Island.
- The Haunted Mask (and the Goosebumps book series itself) is referenced when you and Gina find a room filled with masks. Gina even pretends to have her head stuck inside a mask.
- Depending on the reader's choices in the undersea cave story, the skeleton crew could either be vengeful sentient monsters, or simply modern-day criminals in disguise.