The holographic cover design features golden fish scale-like shapes. The cover illustration consisted of an evil-looking octopus that is preparing to eat a fish in front of a lush, volcanic tropical island.
IT'S NO FANTASY ISLAND!
You and your cousin Gina are vacationing on Tiki Island. It's so beautiful, you don't even care when you hear a rumor that people have been mysteriously disappearing from the island.
While you're snorkeling, Gina finds a dark undersea cave. Should you follow her in? Or go after that gleaming object on the ocean floor? Quick! Make up your mind! A shark is zooming straight at you! If you choose to dive for the object, you'll find a Tiki Eye. It has the power to erupt a volcano — and summon Tiki warriors from the dead! If you explore the underwater cave you'll find a sunken ship filled with treasure... and some very active skeletons.
The choice is yours in this scary GOOSEBUMPS adventure that's packed with over 20 super-spooky endings!
You and your cousin Ginny are visiting Tiki Island for the second year in a row, thanks to your travel writer mother. A boy named Kala, the resort owners son, informs you that a curse has fallen on Tiki Island. You don't believe him but have noticed that there are less tourists around this year. You and Gina go snorkling and are attacked by a shark. You must choose weather to use a sharp stone to fight it, or go hide in a cave.
You swim towards the cave and escape from the shark. However, you are pulled deeper into the cave by the strong currents, and emerge in another cave with a high ceiling. You and Gina suddenly realize that there’s a waterfall in the cave and you fall deeper into a lower level of the cave, where gems line the walls. As you take a gem from the wall, a pirate ship rises out of the water. You go in for a look but discover that the ship is infested with a crew of skeletons, who capture Gina.
You pick up the stone, and hold it up to defend yourself from the shark, but the shark leaves as soon as they see it. You keep the stone and swim back to Kala’s boat with Gina, but when you get there the stone starts to get hot and burn your skin so you let go. Kala recognizes the stone, and tells you to go visit a guy named Hooahtoo, to confirm that the stone is not what Kala thinks it is. You wrap the stone in a towel and go to find Hooahtoo, who tells you that the stone is the Tiki Eye, and it is cursed, and now that you have been exposed to it, so are you. The only way to remove the curse is to climb the highest mountain on Tiki Island, and return the eye to the mask that it belongs to.
List of endings
There are sixteen bad endings and six good endings.
- Struggling to escape from an octopus' grasp. you bite down on its tentacle. It turns you into one instead.
- You wish that you had never found the Tiki Eye, which results in you being attacked by the shark in the beginning of the story.
- Mount Kenalua sucks you and Gina in, and you are both "eaten" by the volcano. (It "swallowed" you and Gina by falling in)
- Lava washes over you and Gina. You end up dying in the molten rock.
- In your haste to get Gina help, you unwittingly wander into the mouth of a giant sea monster living in the cavern. The monster then proceeds to eat you.
- Accidentally causing an avalanche of diamonds that buries you, Gina, and the skeleton crew alive.
- After refusing to show the ghost pirates the way to the surface world, you and Gina are locked in a flooded dungeon where a horde of carnivorous fish consumes you alive. Only your skeletons are left. You're told that you will now become part of the pirate crew.
- A Lava Lizard successfully eats you and Gina. Its camouflage helped it blend in with the lava cliffs, and the both of you ended up walking right into its mouth.
- You lose the Tiki Eye at the dig site, only to have it found by a random tourist. They get reward money, as well as draw attention from the media, while you leave bemoaning your failing.
- Dr. Oates betrays you after you sell him the Tiki Eye for $200 and takes control of the Tiki Warrior Spirits. When you attempt to run, he commands the Tiki Warriors to do away with both you and Gina.
- You accidentally restart the curse by tripping and breaking two Tiki Masks. ("THE END" is written twice here.)
- A Tiki ghost transports you to a room filled with books on manners after you stare at him. It's implied that you are to remain there for the rest of your life. To get this ending, you must have green or blue eyes.
- While attempting to defend yourself and Gina from an army of Tiki Warriors, you knock down a stalagmite supporting the cavern you're in, causing it to come crashing down on everyone.
- The Tiki Eye causes you to kick your friend's dad, who owns the resort, in your bid to ask for his help. He thinks you attacked him, and is so angry that he tells your mother and bans you from all activities at the resort. You don't get to have any fun and it is implied that you're stuck with the Tiki Curse for the rest of your life.
- You find a skeleton inside the cave but notice that the tattered remains of its clothing look exactly like Gina's bathing suit. You then realize that this is Gina, and both she and you have turned into skeletons. The pirate captain tells you that you were cursed by the pink crystals inside the cave; and welcomes you to his crew.
- You learn that your friend Kala is the one behind the curse. You end up destroying him and decide that the Tiki Eye is better off left alone.
- You break the curse by throwing the Tiki Eye into the volcano. The lizard that carried you and Gina shrinks to six inches. You try to ride it, but accidentally crush it. The book says it's a good ending for you and Gina, but not the lizard.
- A few endings have you successfully freeing the Tiki warrior spirits from their curse.
- One of these ends with the grateful spirits naming you their leader and moving in with you.
- The other involves the Tiki Eye being inserted into the ceremonial mask, wiping them from existence.
- You find an ancient pirate treasure that was stolen from the Tiki Islanders centuries ago. As a reward, you are given a portion of the treasure.
- You successfully free the missing people, who were being held prisoner, and lead them to safety. Then you come across a crystal in your bathing suit, becoming rich soon after.
- There is a maze that punishes you if you do not bother to do it. This is the second time this has happened in a Give Yourself Goosebumps book.
- One of the pages features a path where progression is determined by whether the player is left or right handed.
- Another page features a path which is determined by a coin toss. The side the coin lands on takes the player to the corresponding path.
- The tagline references the 1977 television series Fantasy Island.
- The Haunted Mask (and the Goosebumps book series itself) is referenced when you and Gina find a room filled with masks. Gina even pretends to have her head stuck inside a mask.
- Depending on the reader's choices in the undersea cave story, the skeleton crew could either be vengeful sentient monsters, or simply ill-tempered criminals in disguise.