"Haunted Mask II" is the eleventh and twelfth episode of season two of the Goosebumps TV series, and the thirtieth and thirty-first episode overall. Part one and part two premiered on October 29, 1996 on Fox Kids Network respectively.
- John White as Steve Boswell
- Amos Crawley as Chuck Greene
- Kathryn Long as Carly Beth Caldwell
- Kathryn Short as Sabrina Mason
- Julie Khaner as Marilyn Boswell
- Colin Fox as Shopkeeper
- Scott Wickware as Haunted Mask
- Brenda Bazinet as Carly Beth's Mom (credit only)
- Andrea O'Roarke as 11-Year-Old Girl
- Derek Boyes as Husband
- Cody Jones as Noah Caldwell (credit only)
- Hayley Lochner as Scolded Child
- Dave Harvey as Kindly Old Man
- Hamille Rustia as Trick-or-Treater #1
- Shannon Duff as Trick-or-Treater #2
- Bucky Hill as Football Player
- Alex Campbell as Vampire Boy
- Trevor Wilson as First Teen
- Jeremy Tracz as Second Teen
- Christian Matheson as Third Teen
- Alli Hicks as Young Mother
- R.L. Stine as himself (host)
Carly Beth Caldwell learned her lesson from the hideous mask she used to scare Steve Boswell last Halloween. Too bad Steve didn't learn this! This year he's determined to have the scariest costume on the block. He goes to the same spooky store where Carly Beth got her mask and finds one that looks like an evil old man with stringy, white hair and a wrinkled face. Steve may have the scariest mask in town, but suddenly he's feeling kind of old, very tired, and sort of evil . . .
Differences from the book
- In the book, Steve is forced to choose coaching a first-grade soccer team as punishment for releasing a squirrel into the girl's locker room (while another punishment was blowing up basketballs by mouth in the gym every day after school). None of this plot appears in the episode.
- The Haunted Mask from the original is featured much more prominently In the episode. While it was only briefly mentioned in the book, the mask appears as an antagonist in the episode.
- In the episode, the Unloved are burned by the shopkeeper, but in the book, they are simply moved into boxes within the shop's basement.
- The shopkeeper also has a larger role in the episode, in the book he only appears briefly to warn Steve of the masks. In the episode, he is taken over by the original mask.
- In the book, Steve steals the mask in hopes of scaring the first graders he's coaching. In the episode, he wants to wear the mask because he wants one last chance to do something scary before he's too old to trick-or-treat.
- Carly Beth never reveals where she got the mask in the episode, leaving Chuck and Steve to find the store by themselves.
- In the book, the first time Steve puts on the mask is when it melds to his face. In the episode, it takes multiple times for the mask to stick to Steve's face.
- In the episode, Steve's mask is removed through a symbol of love. In the book, all the masks must be removed through different means.
- The book ends with Chuck now having a mask stuck to his face, while the episode ends with the old man mask and the original haunted mask being burned in a fireplace, with Steve's dog eventually burying it after it survives the flames.
"Haunted Mask II" was released on VHS in the US on July 29, 1997, and October 1, 1999 in the UK. It was released on DVD on September 7, 2004.
|Title||Release date||Media type|
The Haunted Mask II
|July 29, 1997 (US)|
October 1, 1999 (UK)
The Haunted Mask II
|September 7, 2004||DVD|
- John White (Steve) didn't portray Steve in "The Haunted Mask", but he played Michael Webster at 12 in season one's "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom"
- Kathryn Short (Sabrina) played Sue in season one's "A Night in Terror Tower".
- Scott Wickware (The Haunted Mask) appeared twice more in season two as the Masked Mutant in "Attack of the Mutant", and the hard hat worker in "Welcome to Dead House".
- Cody Jones (Noah) played Danny Anderson in season four's "The Ghost Next Door".
- Chuck uses cotton wool to stuff his cheeks. This is a reference to Marlon Brando in The Godfather.
- Posters of Courtney Love and Cable appearon the walls of Steve's bedroom.