Slappy New Year! is the eighteenth book in the Goosebumps HorrorLand book series, the seventh book of the Living Dummy saga, and the sixth book in the Chiller House arc. It was first published in 2010.
The cover artwork depicts Slappy wearing a party hat and blowing a party horn in a room filled with confetti, colorful balloons, and a falling "Happy New Year" banner.
"Did you think Slappy here was talking?"
Ray Gordon loves to scare his younger brother, Brandon. It's not hard considering Brandon is terrified of everything—loud noises, roller coasters, and especially the wooden dummy, Slappy, that Ray got from Jonathan Chiller's HorrorLand gift shop.
In order to throw his big New Year's Eve party, Ray's parents make him promise to leave Brandon alone. But strange, mean-spirited things keep happening to his little brother, and Slappy always seems to be around for it. Could those words Ray read out loud actually have brought the dummy to life?
12 year old Ray Gordon and 9 year old Brandon Gordon are visiting HorrorLand. Ray Gordon is older but shorter and braver than his younger brother Brandon Gordon. Brandon is the taller but younger brother of Ray. Brandon is considered a coward to Ray because he gets scared easily. Ray Gordon wants to go on the scariest ride in the theme park, but Brandon objects. The two kids bump into a Horror in yellow overalls and yellow suspenders. Ray asks the horror to take him to the scariest ride in HorrorLand. The horror takes Ray and Brandon to The Shocker.
Ray and Brandon go into the small race cars that hve no brakes. The race begins and the two kids kept going faster and faster. They lose control of the race cars and they started making buzzing noises like electricity. Both cars came to a loud stop soon after. After the ride was over they run into Seymour Winn-Doe, A horror covered in shards of mirror. Winn-Doe states that he heard Ray and Brandon wanted a scare, so he motioned Ray and Gordon to follow him into the Hall of Mirrors. When Ray and Brandon went inside the Hall of Mirrors, Winn-Doe trapped them in. The two kids were turned invisible. Ray and Brandon are mocked by their reflections. The lights turned on and the two kids were visible again. Ray and Gordon escaped the Hall Of Mirrors, and run into Chiller House. Ray finds Slappy in the gift shop, and decides to take him. Jonathan Chiller likes his choice and insists to pay him later.
Ray and Brandon return to their house with their mom and dad. Ray Gordon wants to plan a New Years Eve party for all the kids at school, but his mom tells him to act good and write New Years resolutions in order to be worthy of having the party. Ray Gordon decides to scare his younger brother Brandon Gordon for not liking Slappy, due to being too scary. Brandon screams and wakes up mom and dad. Ray's mother and father were not happy with Ray scaring Brandon and gave him a warning. It's morning and Elena enters Ray's room. They talk about the New Years Eve party. Elena has brown hair, green eyes, and is short and thin like Ray. Elena almost finishes reading the spell to bring Slappy to life but Brandon screams at her to stop. Ray reads some of the words out loud when Brandon left, but his dad called him down for help. Brandon screamed and it came from his room. When Ray and the entire family saw it there was a big mess. Ray says it was Slappy but his parents didn't believe him.
The next day Ray and Elena are decorating the basement for the party. Brandon screamed from his room. When Ray and Elena got there Slappy was sitting at the dresser. Brandon's clothes were covered in syrup. Ray and his parents come in. Ray is blamed again and is told to clean up the mess. Elena wasn't happy with Ray and left. It was night and Ray was in bed. Ray spots Slappy at the end of his bed. He pulls Slappy up from the floor and sees Brandon. Ray is mad and read the magic words, which brings Slappy to life.
On Christmas Day, Ray and his family goes to Elena's Christmas party. Everyone brings presents, for each other. Slappy is surprisingly there too. Mr. Shear insists that Ray put on a show with Slappy. Slappy insults some people and runs after the Christmas Tree. Ray jumps at Slappy to stop him, and Ray rams into the tree and topples it over. Ray was blamed yet again for Slappy's shenanigans.
Elena was furious with Ray and stopped talking to him. Ray's mother and father cancelled the New Years Eve Party. A man appears at the front door of Ray's home. He says that Ray has something that belongs to him, and Ray brings down Slappy and gives it to the man at the door. He says it isn't what he was looking for. Ray tells him he is at the wrong house and closes the door. Slappy says Ray will never get rid of him and breaks a vase. The entire family is in the living room. Ray is blamed for Slappy's mess. Ray and Brandon are told to shovel snow in the driveway. Slappy appears from the garage with hedge clippers. Slappy snaps them in Ray's face and Brandon knocks them out of Slappy's hands and pushes him to the ground. Slappy squirms and kicks yelling at him to let go. Slappy is carried to a garbage truck and is thrown inside. Slappy is slowly ground up along with all the other garbage.
Ray and Brandon went back into the house in the happiest moods ever. They begged their parents to have a New Years Eve party. Their mother and father then agree to not cancel the party. A huge New Years Eve party is thrown in Ray's house. All seems fun until Slappy appears from the stairs, scraped up and covered in garbage. He throws paint buckets at the kids, and Brandon makes a swoop for Slappy but misses. Slappy is distracted tormenting other party members. Ray and Brandon take this chance to crush Slappy with paint buckets. Paint buckets are pushed onto Slappy and he was buried under them. The evil dummy grabs Ray by the throat. Brandon grabbed the paper that had the magic words on it, but it was covered in paint. Slappy makes a grab for the paper but Ray grabs a hold of it first and reads the magic words, Slappy gasps and lies dead on the floor.
Mom and Dad walk into the room and are shocked by the big mess. Dad decides to leave the painted mess in the garage because it looks nice. Ray's mom finds the paper and says it's hard to pronounce. Ray is worried that his mom read the magic words out loud.
Ray goes into his room to look for Slappy, but is nowhere to be seen. Ray finds the little horror doll given to him at the shop along with Slappy. Ray stares at it and takes his gaze off of it only to find himself back at Chiller House. Jonathan Chiller greets Ray and tells him the game is going to begin soon.
Originally, a book titled Slappy New Year was going to be a part of a 2001 Goosebumps book series titled Goosebumps Gold. However, the series and the books planned for it were canceled due to R.L. Stine's contract with Scholastic ending. Although the titles are nearly identical, Stine has confirmed that the Goosebumps Gold version of Slappy New Year does not have the same plot as the Goosebumps HorrorLand book. Consequently, it is still unknown what the original Goosebumps Gold plot was.
- In the Portuguese adaptation of the story, Slappy is called 'Infeliz', which can be translated to 'Unhappy'
- This book contains some similarities to previous Living Dummy books:
- Brandon did some bad things to make it look like Slappy was doing them. This is like in Night of the Living Dummy as Lindy Powell also did bad things to make it look like Mr. Wood was doing them too. (But Brandon was more apologetic about his actions.) It is also similar to Revenge of the Living Dummy with how Ethan tormented Britney with a remote controlled Slappy.
- Ray had almost finished reading the ancient words when he first noticed them but was called away before he could finish. That was like in Bride of the Living Dummy as Jillian Zinman had also almost finished saying the ancient words when she first noticed them and was called away before she could finish.
- Brandon was paying Ray back for his tricks by putting Slappy somewhere he shouldn't be to make it looks like Ray was doing it, which is similar to Night of the Living Dummy III as Zane O'Dell was also paying Trina and Dan back for their tricks by putting Rocky the Dummy somewhere he shouldn't be to make it looks like they were doing it. Also at that, Ray thought his troubles were over and Trina thought the same thing.
- This is the first book in the second arc of the HorrorLand series to be a sequel.
- Ray's first and last name is later shared with another character from the book A Nightmare on Clown Street, although their appearance descriptions don't match up.
- On the card with the ancient phrase "Karru Marri Odonna Loma Molonu Karrano," a message is written above the spell, which reads: "Hello. My name is Slappy. I can be your friend. Just read these words aloud, and I will come to life. We can have a lot of fun together." This message does not appear in any other piece of Goosebumps media.
- The book references Xbox.
- In a Q&A with R.L. Stine found in the Classic Goosebumps reprint of You Can't Scare Me!, Stine claims this book features a shy boy named Shawn Klaven who thinks Slappy is his only friend. There is no character with that name in the book, nor is there any anyone who thinks Slappy is their friend.
- This is the first book in the Living Dummy saga that does not feature a female protagonist.
- In this book, reading the magic words that bring Slappy to life also put him back to sleep even though previous books in the Living Dummy saga established that this doesn't work.