Monsters at Midnight is the first arc in the horror anthology comic series Goosebumps. It was published by IDW in 2017.
|No.||Cover||Release date||Artwork by||Written by|
|1||October 25, 2017||Chris Fenoglio||Jeremy Lambert|
|2||November 08, 2017||Chris Fenoglio||Jeremy Lambert|
|3||January 31, 2018||Chris Fenoglio||Jeremy Lambert|
Mia and Ginny were planning on spending a thoroughly dull summer at their grandmother’s house. Enter a spooky, old bookshop and a door left slightly ajar, and soon these sisters find themselves trapped in HorrorLand, which is drastically different from the sleepy, suburban town they left behind.
Trapped in HorrorLand, sisters Mia and Ginny have no hope of escape... that is until a little Horror named Irk mentions the gate on the other side of the Scream-Park! Only problem is the never-ending nightmares that stand in their way! And did someone say something about a dummy? Oh, sorry! I didn't mean- AAAAAGGHH!
The sisters are safe and sound in their beds, Their nightmares a folly, it's all in their heads. Now wait, I hear something, perhaps it's a scream... Oh, I'm so sorry, it's not all a dream! They cannot survive this, reader beware! Unless I'm mistaken, you're in for a scare!
- Because Mia and Ginny's parents are a lesbian couple, this marks the very first instance of LGBT tropes in Goosebumps media.
- One of the books on the shelves in Cursed Editions is the Necronomicon, as depicted in the Evil Dead films.
- Curly's appearance in this comic arc marks his first actual appearance in a Goosebumps story, as he usually appeared in covers and merchandise in the past.
References to other Goosebumps media
- Night of the Living Dummy saga: Slappy the Dummy appears as the primary antagonist.
- Tales to Give You Goosebumps: Curly the Skeleton can be spotted amongst the crowd of monsters.
- Monster Blood saga: Monster Blood makes an appearance during issue 2.
- One Day at HorrorLand/Goosebumps HorrorLand: The Horrors make an appearance, and HorrorLand itself appears as a setting.
- The Horror at Camp Jellyjam: Mia mentions being unable to go to Camp Jellyjam.
- Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns: A Pumpkin Head appears on issue 1's B cover.
- The Haunted Mask: The Haunted Mask appears on issue 1's B and RI covers.
- The Werewolf of Fever Swamp: Will Blake appears on issue 1's B cover, and the book appears on a shelf in issue 1.
- A Nightmare on Clown Street: Murder the Clown appears on issue 1's B cover.
- Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes: A Lawn Gnome appears on issue 1's B cover.
- The Cuckoo Clock of Doom: The Cuckoo Clock appears on issue 1's B cover.
- The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight: A Scarecrow appears on issue 1's B cover.
- How I Got My Shrunken Head: The Shrunken Head appears on issue 1's RI cover.
- Werewolf Skin: A Wolf Skin appears on issue 1's RI cover.
- Legend of the Lost Legend: A Viking helmet can be spotted on issue 1's RI cover.