"Squeal of Fortune" is part one of a a three-part mini-series. It is the nineteenth episode of Season 3 of the Goosebumps TV series. It was directed by William Fruet. It premiered April 25th, 1998 on Fox during the Fox Kids block.
The model town is shown close-up; then we get a "tour" of the town. After everything is shown, Karl is heard with his evil laugh.
Matthew Erikson has a booth and is selling trading cards to get money. Jessica Walters then walks by, and they start talking about selling a valuable card that Matthew has. Jessica then gives up after trying to get the card. Really, she just wanted to sell the card. Jessica then goes home and goes to her room, then her brother Sam comes in. He wants to borrow $20 from Jessica so he can get something for their mom. Jessica says no, then they start to argue and their mother comes in and stops them. She then tells Jessica to give Sam $20. Sam then walks away, proud. Jessica is then seen counting the rest of her money.
After Jessica calms down, she goes up to the attic to look for some stuff. She then finds the model town and touches a building, then gets sucked into the town. She then meets Karl Knave, a sinister man with evil plans to keep children who find the model town in Karlsville - forever. But he gets on their good side so they believe him. Karl then asks Jessica if she likes business, and Jessica says yes. He then says that people in Karlsville need some business, to start small. By start small, he means start with a lemonade stand. Karl convinces her to sell lemonade that everyone seems to like. But he warns Jessica that "only pigs get greedy", and not to be a pig. Sales are slow at first, but then Karl "turns up the heat" and more people start to come. Her greediness gets the best of her and she starts to raise up her prices for the lemonade. Soon the whole town is trying to get lemonade, and Jessica tries to scam the customers into bidding for lemonade to get more money. She then knocks over the pitcher that she was hiding from the customers. Her greedy plan is revealed and she then turns into a pig. Karl then tells everyone to get her, and she is chased by the whole town. The "citizens" keep on saying, "Karl likes bacon a lot. Let's get that pig and cook it so Karl can have bacon!" She then narrowly escapes by calling home in a phone booth, and Sam answers, and she pops out of the model town. Sam is surprised and shaken, and Jessica thanks him for answering. They decide to throw out the model town. They put it in a trash can.
- Daniel Kash as Karl Knave
- Caterina Scorsone as Jessica Walters
- Gil Filar as Sam Walters
- Maggie Huculak as Sharon Walters
- Melanie Nicholls-King as Teresa Erickson
- Warren Benns as Matthew Erikson
- Neil Denis as Todd Erikson
- Cortnie Henry as Nikki
- Diane Douglass as Mrs. Chiller
- Derek Keurvorst as Mr. Bleak
- Paul-Emile Frappier as Mr. Killman
- Tracy Dawson as Mother
- When Karl presents Jessica with the lemonade sachet, he changes from holding it at the top, to the side, then back and forth again.
- Just before Jessica goes and asks the woman with the perm if she would like some lemonade, we see Nicki put the plastic cups down beside the "Cash" box. In the next camera shot of Jessica talking to the woman, the cups are on the other side of the table. They are back in their original place in the next camera shot.
- Whenever people walk by cars, such as Jessica and Karl after they first meet, crew members are reflected in the car windows.
- When Jessica pours the Lemonade into the Container so that she can tell the people that there was none left but one cup, she did not put the lid back on it, but when, she kicked the container over the lid fell off of it as if it were on there the whole time.
- The title is a spoof of the game show, Wheel of Fortune.
- One of the shops in Karlsville is named The Cuckoo Clock of Doom.
- Caterina Scorsone (Jessica Walters) played Sara Kramer in Season 1's "Night of the Living Dummy II".
- Audio from this episode is featured in the Animorphs episode My Name is Eerk.
- The radio station Jessica listens to is GB 320. GB likely refers to Goosebumps and 320 is a possible reference to Part 2 of this series being Season 3, Episode 20. This was most likely episode 20 in production order.